Steghide is a popular open source encryption and steganography tool that works in Linux, macOS and Windows. This tool hide secret or confidential information into Various kind of images. It also works with audio files. This tool will help us to straightforward and efficient way to embed and extract hidden data from media files, making it a useful tool for privacy and security purposes.
However, there are some problem using Steghide. Steghide it’s not fully secure. If a good hacker or a good encryptor wants to find hidden data into a text or audio file. They can decrypt the hidden data that are encrypted by Steghide. It is important to note that steghide is not foolproof.
Some Information About Steghide :
|Supported platforms||Linux, macOS, Windows|
Uses Of Steghide :
- At first you have to install this tool into your Linux, Windows or Mac OS. For Linux, you can use a single command line to install this tool.
sudo apt-get install steghide
2. After writing this command you will give your administrator password into your Linux terminal. After that this command will execute with the full control of installation atomically. Then you need to download a image for encrypting and create a txt file with hidden secret data for encryption.
3. For encrypting any emails with secret data or information, you can just use some simple command. The command is :
steghide embed -ef [file_to_hide] -cf [cover_file] -sf [output_file]
4. For Password Protection you can use -p to encrypt with password. The password encrypted command is :
steghide embed -ef [file_to_hide] -cf [cover_file] -sf [output_file] -p [password]
5. For decrypt normal data without password you can use this command:
steghide extract -sf [file_with_hidden_data]
For decrypt data with password, you can use this command :
steghide extract -sf [file_with_hidden_data] -p [password]
Also you can use text file as a decrypt. For this use command:
steghide extract -sf [file_with_hidden_data] -xf 'File name with txt' -p [password]
Full Command List of Steghide:
|embed||Embed secret data in a cover file.|
|extract||Extract secret data from a stego file.|
|info||Display information about a cover or stego file.|
|list||List the supported encryption algorithms and modes.|
|version||Display the version of Steghide.|
|help||Display help for Steghide.|
Video Guide OF Steghide :
Features of Steghide:
- Steghide can hide data into this JPEG, BMP, WAV, and AU files or extensions.
- It can use a password to encrypt the data completely.
- This tool can be used on a variety of platforms like linux, Windows and Mac OS.
- This tool has Strong Encryption information.
- You can “Password Protection” feature for more security.
- Steghide can be used for digital watermarking with unique identifier into multimedia content to prove ownership or authenticity.
- Easy to use.
Some Problems with Steghide :
- Steganography is not fully secure. Advanced data analysis techniques might be able to detect the presence of hidden data.
- In the LSB space, Steghide has limited storage. Big or large text or hidden data will not be encrypted with this tool.
- Using Steghide embed command can be damaged image quality or image color. However, the new version of this tool fixes the problem.
- In previous versions Steghide has record to Accidental Loss of Hidden Data
- This tool can be misused by evil organization or evil people.
- This tool have limited file extension or limited files. We cannot embed or encrypt data in every file.